Sleep deprivation is no joke — in reality, it can take a severely adverse toll on your overall health. Still, many individuals suffer from sleep deprivation and rarely get a full night’s rest. It’s important to acknowledge that these habits can result in far more than just day-to-day discomfort and sleepiness. Some of the effects of sleep deprivation can persist over time.
Luckily, there are a number of ways to go about treating chronic sleep deprivation. One such method is through the regular use of CBD, which has been shown to function as a sleep aid.
The Negative Consequences of Sleep Deprivation
Sleep deprivation can lead to a variety of consequences, many of which are severe or long-lasting. When you don’t get enough sleep, your entire body can suffer. Some side effects of sleep deprivation include:
- Damage to the central nervous system. Chronic insomnia or a constant lack of sleep can interrupt the sending and processing of information. This can leave an individual’s brain feeling exhausted, impacting its ability to perform basic tasks. For instance, sleep deprivation can lead to decreased coordination and increased mood swings, or in some cases, can result in hallucinations.
- Lowered immunity, due to immune system damage. In severe cases, sleep deprivation can raise the likelihood of developing chronic conditions, such as heart disease and type II diabetes.
- Respiratory damage, including the worsening of existing respiratory illness.
- Digestive difficulties, as well as a higher probability of becoming overweight or obese. Leptin and ghrelin are hormones that control hunger and feelings of fullness, and a chronic lack of sleep can negatively impact the production of these hormones.
- Cardiovascular damage, including effects on blood pressure, blood sugar levels, and the likelihood of inflammation.
- Problems with the endocrine system — sleep is necessary for proper hormone production.
How Can CBD Be Used to Fight Sleep Deprivation and Insomnia?
CBD is a type of cannabinoid. Cannabinoids, including CBD, interact with cells and proteins within the human brain.
Recent research shows that the endocannabinoid system aids in the maintenance of several body functions, including sleep and the regulation of circadian rhythms. Studies show that CBD effects particular receptors within the brain and central nervous system, which then impact the sleep/wake cycle.
As a bonus, CBD is known to help reduce symptoms of pain or anxiety, which are factors that often get in the way of a good night’s rest.
CBD oil can be consumed in a variety of forms to aid with sleep, including edibles, vapors, and tinctures.
High-Quality CBD Products by Mellō Drop
All in all, there’s substantial scientific research that points to CBD’s impressive sleep aid capabilities.
If you need help stabilizing your sleep schedule, try checking out Mellō Drop’s brand-new line of CBD-infused teas. Our teas come in several flavors, including blackberry & lavender, hibiscus & peach, jasmine & honey, and more.
Having more trouble staying awake, and less trouble staying asleep? Mellō Drop also offers an array of CBD energy drinks.